Tuesday, November 29, 2016

playlists

I posed for a picture on Saturday with a blackboard in my hands that claimed I would buy no milk in the year 2017. I do not yet know if I plan to follow through, but Laura Bužinska had just left after putting the responsibility of complying to the shiny-looking girl who was probably in charge of the pictures in that particular corner. Milk is bad for you, though, right?
Kaņepes Kultūras Centrs had organized an event in the spirit of Buy Nothing Day, which, depending on where you live, either coincides with or comes right after Black Friday. I later found out that the event (which included people waiting in line for the sewing machine to proceed with their buckwheat pillows and bringing broken devices to the little table where Fricis and Mārtiņš Celotājs both sat, happily tinkering away) is actually organized every two months or so, or whenever they get around to it. Which is pretty cool. KKC has seemingly been a solid supporter of responsible citizen stuff. Even if no one was enforcing the "buy nothing" thing, since that would have been bad for business.
The Minimalism movie, the grand finale of the whole ordeal, left a lasting impression on me, not so much on Terēze, my companion for the day. My mother has been claiming for years that one day, she'll get rid of all the excess shit and never worry about it again, so it's not like the concept is unfamiliar to me, but I did find myself wandering a Tiger shop soon afterwards simply to look at every vaguely humorous product and trying to gauge how unnecessary it was. Looks like I'm on a slippery slope to becoming a jaded ex-collector haunted by clean living and nostalgic memory, fuck me.

No comments:

Post a Comment